Saturday, April 30, 2005

Conveyor Belt Sushi Y'all

I had no idea I'd love it as much as I did. You sit at the bar and fix yourself some green tea and wait for the little plate of sushi that peaks your fancy to roll right by you on the conveyor belt. It's mezmerizing, and relaxing and I figured out how to ask the sushi chef behind the bar for some Wasabi in Japanese (ok the wasabi part wasn't hard) "Sumimasen, wasabi kudasai!" The sushi chef saw me getting coached before asking and gave me a little smile when he gave it to me, like aren't you so cute. I ate everything that was appetizing and a few things that weren't. I especially liked all the dishes that had a little sauce poured over top - octopus roe with mayonnaise for example. It made me feel really good about the situation when the chef periodically snatched dishes off the conveyor belt and tossed them. I suppose some things could circle all day, until some unwitting stooge came and ate them and got sick, if they didn't keep track and pull them off. I've been eating like a king here. I think conveyor belt sushi is the way to go when you don't really speak the language because there's really nothing to order or say. But that happened at the end of the day.
For the rest of the day we went to a Temple called Asakusa, the oldest and biggest Buddhist temple in Tokyo. I bought a fortune - they have them in English there too - and it was bad, so I bought another and another and another and another, all bad. So I went and wafted myself with good luck incense and bought three more bad fortunes. I couldn't believe it. I ended up buying a bag of good luck inside the temple. (Obviously Jesus Christ never came to their temple and turned over the vendors stalls, because there was a lot of shopping to be had inside the temple.) Anyway, after that, we mosied on over to the Imperial Palace and took some hilarious pictures and were chastised by the guard after Helen, our English friend, fell over the railing we were taking pictures in front of.
After a stroll through the Ginza, what most people imagine when they think of Tokyo, we headed back for my date with conveyor belt sushi. Yum.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

conveyor belt sushi IS the best thing ever! so fun! i like the machine that pops up the rice in sushi molded shape. oh god, i have to return to the land of the rising sun already! how i miss the over-the-topness of japan!

Anonymous said...

conveyor belt sushi IS the best thing ever! so fun! i like the machine that pops up the rice in sushi molded shape. oh god, i have to return to the land of the rising sun already! how i miss the over-the-topness of japan!