Thursday, July 21, 2005

Freezing to death in the dog days of summer - we must be nuts!

So they're turning up the heat in our office building to 26 degrees Celsius because of fear of rolling blackouts. I don't understand why it had to be so cold before anyway.
Did any of you see that article in The Globe and Mail yesterday about some women who are dressing appropriately for the temperature outside and then having to use space heaters and winter sweaters in their offices in the summer? (Heated debate, By VIVEK KRISHNAMURTHY, Thursday, July 21, 2005, Page A14) The point was that the office building temperatures are set for men in business suits not women in dresses and sandals. And so the women are freezing in their offices and can't get their landlords to do anything about it. I totally get it, it's really hard to type when your fingers are stiff from the cold, but I think I'd call building management twice a day till they found a way to quit cooling my office too much instead of a space heater.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you notice that was lisa's old firm, koskie minsky? heads will roll for that.

jane said...

Hey, I wonder if that was written by the same Vivek Krishnamurthy I used to know... I knew him in Ottawa, then met him again at a party of Jenna's in Toronto.

(I bring a sweater whenever I have to go to the library)

Anonymous said...

Um - really how many Vivek Krishnamurthys can there be. Oh wait, you must be thinking of the other Vivek Krishnamurthy! Yes well, you know it is a popular name...

Anonymous said...

in japan, to save power they declared that all govt buildings should set the A/C
to 28. men were discouraged from wearing jackets & ties. but this has everyone
up in arms, so now they walk around wearing badges that say "excuse me for being
casually dressed"!