Thursday, August 11, 2005

A Crusade!

Regarding the article posted below:
I have an idea, every time you walk past a store with the door open and an artic gust blowing out of it, close the door. Just kick up the door stop with your foot and close it. (Remember the Breakfast Club? "Screws fall out, it's an imperfect world.")
If the shop keeper challenges you, take the opportunity to explain about conserving energy and brown-outs. Tell him or her that you were going to buy something there today, but that you aren't going in now because you know that the wasted a/c is driving up their overhead and inflating their prices and you have an ethical objection to their waste and inflated prices. Tell them you'll come back tomorrow and if the door is closed you'll come in and shop. I'm going to do this my whole way home tonight.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Bill, I know I can rely on you to do this with me!

Anonymous said...

So I ride my bike to work up second avenue and passing the hospital have really come to love/enjoy the airconditioner blast. It's hot as hell in NYC.

Princess Pessimism said...

I did this yesterday, on my way home. I stopped at a gas station, and the door was kicked open with a door stopper. I didnt notice until I was leaving because someone held it open for me when I went it. But when I left, I saw that the door wouldnt close. So I bent down and moved the door stop. With the door 1 step from the counter, the clerk saw me.

Clerk: What are you doing?

Me: Closing your door

Clerk: Why?

Me: Because it's open, and you're a/c is on.

Clerk: I opened that door, because it's gorgeous outside, and i'm stuck in here all day

Me: Then get a job outside

At that point, they were so stunned, that I left, and as I drove away, noticed that they had not reopened the door. Who knows.

Jennifer said...

Was the clerk to stupid to turn off the a/c before opening the door, if it's gorgeous outside and warm it will just make the store colder the harder the a/c pumps. He probably just wanted a power outage so he could go home early, I've secretly hoped for the same thing - one snag in that plan though - my building doesn't have a new generator and the stairwells have no natural lighting and we depend on an electric water pump to bring water to the apt. so we'd be f**ked if there was an outage.

Jennifer said...

that was t-o-o not to.