Wednesday, October 12, 2005

French stereotypes, they are all true

Just kidding! But we did see a mime and there are sidewalk cafes everywhere, with accordion players. But, the folks here are really, really friendly and helpful.
We did some really fun stuff yesterday, but the best part was when a guy mistook me for a local and asked me for directions. Aaron was looking at a tourist map and I was standing there looking around, and then Aaron called me over to show me what he was doing and as I was looking at the map this other guy came up to us and asked me in French if I knew where something was. Tres amusant!
We went to the Musee D'Orsay and saw more impressionist art than you could shake a stick at. I saw paintings that I already recognised. Whistler's mother, stuff by Van Gogh, Degas, Monet, Toulouse Lautrec, and so on. I saw a Renoir of Monet. By the end I'd seen so many masterpieces my eyes were glazed over. And I liked it so much we're doing it all again today at the Louvre!
Also yesterday we went to the Museum of Medical History. Which was down an alley and up 4 different flights of stairs in the attic of the Medical school. They had gadgets for inflicting pain, if not necessarily a cure, from every century. They had intricate sets of tools for trepanation - drilling holes in the skull to let off brain pressure - yikes! And lots of pictures of surgery with no gowns or gloves. The best part was a table made of ears and livers and any other body part you can think of all arranged in a symetrical and intricate design with a petrified foot in the middle. Now that's what I call macabre. It could have been designed by my very own mother, who plans to take the stump of my umbilical cord and surround it with my baby teeth, coat it in acrylic and give it to me as a paper weight. Don't worry, I took some pictures for you mom!
Speaking of macabre, I really want to go to the catacombes while we are here, and there has been some talk of a walk through the sewers. Wheeee!
We also went up the the Arc de Triomphe and the Eiffel tower yesterday, as all the signs say there "Watch for pickpockets!" I already was. Chris has me so paranoid my hand has turned to a claw from clutching the opening of my purse.
Anyway, off to defend my belongings from pickpockets, and eat some crepes, a bientot!

2 comments:

Miss Ash said...

I'm so excited for you, isn't it so lovely over there!! I just wanted to sit in one of those parks by a fountain and read all day long.
Definately try the nutella crepes they are so yummy. You guys should also try to hit up one of the Cabarets and the Pere Lachaise Cemetary is quite beautiful....even if you are not a Doors fan :)

Princess Pessimism said...

Uh. I need to travel.

when you said that chris has you so scared of the pickpockets, I laughed out loud....he's SO funny....Tell everyone I say Bonjour!